Thursday, March 8, 2012

...and then you meet someone like John Jamian

I've been going on sales calls for 19 years. That's a lot of sales calls. I've met some terrific people, heard some great stories and faced a decent share of rejection. Every once in a while a special one comes along, you never know when it's going to happen.

This week was one of those special one's, I had the opportunity to meet with John Jamian, the executive director of the Detroit/Wayne County Port Authority. John is a businessman, former U.S. government official, and Michigan State Legislator. He served as Deputy and later Acting Maritime Administrator, the head of the U.S. Maritime Administration, an agency of the United States Department of Transportation. He was confirmed as Deputy Maritime Administrator by the Senate in 2003 and became Acting Maritime Administrator in 2005. Prior to his service at the Maritime Administration, Jamian was elected to three terms in the Michigan House of Representatives from 1991 to 1996. From 1997 to 2001 he served as Executive Director of the Detroit/Wayne County Port Authority and from 2001 until his appointment as Deputy Director in 2003 as the Executive Director the Armenian Assembly of America. Since 2006 Jamian has been a partner at Jamian, McElroy & Hamlin LLC, a government affairs consulting firm.

John shared some terrific stories, we share an appreciation for history, specifically the local history of Detroit. I was fascinated by the fact that he not only appreciates history but has been part of making history for the City of Detroit as well as the Great Lakes Shipping Industry. With his permission I will share articles that he has written as you will find them engaging and delightful.

I share with you all what John shared with me, go after the things we are passionate about. If we really want something we will make it happen. I found those words encouraging as I continue on the path of what inspires me. I love meeting great people, hearing and making great stories and encouraging each other to continue taking action.Meeting amazing people expands my thinking, the world becomes larger and more interesting.


No comments: